POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : POV-Ray 3.1 to other file formats - a possible solution : Re: POV-Ray 3.1 to other file formats - a possible solution Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:30:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray 3.1 to other file formats - a possible solution
From: Chris Huff
Date: 10 Aug 2000 10:34:22
Message: <chrishuff-E4C9B8.09352610082000@news.povray.org>
In article <3992a1a5@news.povray.org>, "Neil Freebairn"
<nei### [at] lineonenet> wrote:

> My solution is coded entirely in POV 3.1 scene language, because it's
> quick to prototype, I hoped I might get all the way, and I don't know
> any C++.

You seem to be under the impression that POV is written in C++...it is
written in plain old C, though a rewrite in C++ is planned for 4.0. And
adding a function is usually quite easy...one of the easiest things to
do.

> Many of the features new to POV 3.1 (and perhaps some to the
> soon-to-be-released v3.5) bring the scene language closer to a
> language proper, say a 4GL.

Uhh, "4GL"?

> A function that would be useful in this regard, independent of my
> requirement, is this 'makestr(ANY_IDENTIFIER)' function that works
> like str(FLOAT_IDENTIFIER).

The str() function converts a float to a string...how would you convert
a shape to a string? Would you just have it return POV-Script
representing the object? Or return the code that generated the object in
the first place?

> Are you familiar with the POV source and C++, by any chance?

I am familiar with both, not that they have much to do with each other
at this point. :-)

TAG Web page: http://tag.povray.org/